top of page

Serving the community of Troon since 1883 

HISTORY OF THE PARISH

1883 - ST PATRICK'S CHURCH OPENED in Academy St, Troon , Served by St Margaret's, Ayr

1894 -FR JOHN POWER 

Troon becomes a parish with its own priest.

1895-1909 -FR JOHN BRADY

original St Patricks Church / Academy St/Troon
Cross from original St Patrick's church
Our Lady & St Meddan
Original church & School.jpg

1909  FR THOMAS HAYES

-Moved from Waterside after only 8 years ordained. Remained parish priest for 41 years until his death in 1950

1910 15th August -on the Feast of The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the  foundation stone was laid for the new church of Our Lady of the Assumption and St Meddan at the corner of Cessnock Road & St Meddan's St, Troon. 

1911  8th December - on the feast of Immaculate Conception, the new church opens.

1914  Chapel house & cloister built.

1926  Church hall opened

early 1930s Altarpiece built from Bath Stone inlaid with Italian mosaics and French marble.

1934  Organ installed to mark 25 years for Fr Hayes in Troon

1940s Stations of the Cross, wood carvings made in Italy, erected.

1950  FR JOHN McQUILLAN

1954 Bells installed to celebrate Marian Year - Church consecrated on St Andrew's Day. Each of the 8 bells has its own name : Christ the King, Marian Year, St Joseph, St Michael, St Meddan, St Ninian, St Patrick and St Mungo.

3 stained glass windows added either side of the front door of the church -Our Lady Queen of Heaven, St Michael honoured by St Meddan, and the Baptism of the Lord.

1961 to celebrate golden jubilee of the church, a statue of St Meddan was carved by Hew Lorimer and erected on the outside north wall.

1964 FR JOHN LEEN

Changes to the sanctuary including removal of iconic rood beam and crucifixion scene.

IMG_4435-2_edited_edited.jpg
Our Lady & St Meddan
rood beam over altar

1972  FR JOHN CROWLEY

1982  MONS FRANCIS DUFFY

1992 CANON ARCHIBALD BROWN

Major restoration of church took place including restoration of rood beams and crucifixion. 

1997 Following the demolition of the original church/school building, the new St Patrick's school was opened in August. 

2000 To mark the year of the Great Jubilee, a new gold tabernacle and four gold candlesticks were manufactured in Madrid for the sanctuary.

2023  FR MARTIN CHAMBERS

Father Martin was Parish Priest for only 9months

before being appointed Bishop of Dunkeld. Sadly,  

Fr Martin died suddenly on 10th April 2024 a few weeks before his episcopal ordination. His funeral took place in the Parish on 29th April 2024 and was concelebrated by Bishop Frank Dougan with over 950 mourners attending.

Fr Martin had established the Martin Chambers Ecuador Trust in 2006 to support the lives of those who live in the poorest conditions in Ecuador where he worked on the missions from 2004-2009 before returning to Galloway Diocese.

2024 FR WILLIAM BOYD -   present 

Fr M Chambers
Stations of the Cross
Spiral

THE CHURCH BUILDING

One of the best churches of the latter days of the Gothic Revival; Our Lady of the Assumption & St Meddan was built in 1910. The church architect, Reginald Fairlie was the grandson James Ogilvie Fairlie of Coodham. His father was closely associated with the 3rd Marquess of Bute. He had received his training from Sir Robert Lorimer and travelled in Europe making sketches in France and Italy. On his return in 1908 he set up practice in Edinburgh and was commissioned to build a new Catholic church in Troon by Fr Hayes, the parish priest, and the 4th Marquess of Bute (John Patrick Crichton-Stuart) who generously paid for its building.

Troon was only the second church built and he included a variety of his favourite styles and features including Romanesque and late 15th century Scottish ecclesiastical.

The design for the church by  Fairlie takes inspiration from a number of sources including the Church of the Holy Rude in Stirling; a similar sense of monumentality, akin to that of Norman architecture, can be found in both churches. Bold detailing, monumental character and simplicity of design. Nave with buttresses between the windows and a powerful tower at the west end with attached stair tower topped with a delightful crown spire with finials.

Calm interior with stone walls. Open timber roof with carved angels. Stone, marble and mosaic reredos. Linen-fold carved detail to pulpit. 

Retained features from original St Patricks Church  

-The Date Stone (1882)-

- The Holy Water Font-

-The Stone Cross- 

(see pics in GALLERY)

bottom of page